Linux Device Driver - Interview Questions
LDD - Interrupt Handling
Interrupt Handling in Linux Interview Questions
- Explain about the interrupt mechanims in linux?
- What are the APIs that are used to register an interrupt handler?
- How do you register an interrupt handler on a shared IRQ line?
- Explain about the flags that are passed to request_irq().
- Explain about the internals of Interrupt handling in case of Linux running on ARM.
- What are the precautions to be taken while writing an interrupt handler?
- Explain interrupt sequence in detail starting from ARM to registered interrupt handler.
- What is bottom half and top half.
- What is request_threaded_irq()
- If same interrupts occurs in two cpu how are they handled?
- How to synchronize data between 'two interrupts' and 'interrupts and process'.
- How are nested interrupts handled?
- How is task context saved during interrupt?
- What is bottom halves and Top half.? Whats their functionality?
- What are upper half and bottom half in device drivers.Why are they used?
- What is the difference between ISR and interrupt handler.(Both are the same)
- What is an ISR? What are the basic operations there?
- How would you handle sleeping or blocking instructions in an Interrupt Service Routine(if unavoidable)
or basically if the length of ISR is long?
- Can u have reentrant code inside interrupt handler. (NO)
- Cache coherency.- MESI /MSI protocol
- What does a interrupt handler take in as input... and what does it return.( it does not accept or return anything)
- What is the disadvantage of dynamic device number assignment ?
- Data sharing between ISR and threads?
- How interrupts are generated?
- How to Enabling & Disabling of interrupts
- softirq vs tasklet vs workqueue
- How are interrupts handled in linux
- Top and bottom halves. Examples
- what is an interrupt and difference between exceptions and signals
- When a signal is raised on a interrupt line what will be passed to processor either interrupt number or anything else?
- How kernel comes to know which device raised an interrupt when interrupt is shared.
- What all the things to be taken care while handling an interrupt?
- Main difference between Tasklets and workqs?
- When an interrupt can be disabled? When an interrupt can be enabled again?( Not asked but better to find the answer
- How a interrupt is registered?
- how you select the bottom half mechanism and what are the differences between them
- what in interrupt context and process context
- Interrupt based driver.
- How a interrupt will be handled in Linux.
- Explain about shared interrupt and how an corresponding interrupt Handler is called while an interrupt is shared?
- What is software interrupt and hardware interrupt with examples?
- explain how an interrupt of hardware device is handled
- Interrupt handler ? how interrupt is serviced?
- How to register an interrupt handler?
- How to know whether a interrupt is an edge triggered or level triggered from registering an interrupt handler?
- what is softirq and tasklet and work queues?
- what are kernel synchronization techniques
- In detail about top half and bottom Half?
- In which interrupt context the interrupt will run?
- spin_lock_bh() diff spin_lock_irq()?
- ISR descriptor Table
- Top half and bottom half interrupt approach?
- Tell about interrupts handling in kernel?
- When a interrupt is handled whether that specific interrupt is disabled or not? If disabled why ? if not disabled why not disabled?
- When a interrupt is handled tell whether all interrupts are disabled or not ?if yes why ?if no why?
- As device driver developer when you will you disable or enable particular interrupt or all interrupts What is the functionality of save_interrupts?
- what is the first function called when interrupt is handled?
- Have you heard about â€œHandle_interruptâ€ ?
- what are the methods or functions to raise execute the interrupt process when interrupt occurs.
- What is the difference between IRQ & FIQ.
- how the synchronisation works in single processor system(spinlock_irq_save).
- How a delayed execution in interrupt is handled?
- A global data member is programmed to get modified in a thread and Interrupt, so what kind of synchronization mechanism will you use?
- Can interrupts sleep?why?
- Types of interrupts?
- What actually happens while interrupt occurs exactly explain in terms of context switching ,what happens to the current running process?
- As their no code written to do context saving when a interrupt happens in any of the functions then which is responsible in doing this context saving and switching context?
- Interrupts, Bottom half.
- How buffer is copied to user level
- Explain working of interrupts
- Function Signature of registering Interrupt handler? and Flags used while requesting IRQ?
- How Intrrupts are executed?.
- What are software interrupts? What are hardware interrupts? Can you mention the names and explain?
- What are different caches [L1 and L2 cache]?
- What is the role of interrupts in a device driver ? How are interrupts handled in device driver ?
- How will you make interrupt handlers as fast as possible ?
- What are the types of softirqs ?
- Difference between Timer Softirq and Tasklet Softirq ?
- What are tasklets ? How are they activated ? when and How are they initialized ?